That moment when you try to login into your WordPress admin, only to discover the login password is in incorrect. You tried to enter a few more times but still get password incorrect even to the point you have to wait a few minutes to be allowed by wordpress to login again.
Don’t worry, it happens, we forget our passwords sometimes and yes it get a lot worse when wordpress login get hacked or changed and can’t even get access to the email address use for the WordPress to request for a password reset link.
Without having to contact your WordPress hosting regarding the issue, I will show you how to change WordPress password in phpMyAdmin. But first what is phpMyAdmin?
phpMyAdmin is one of the most popular applications for MySQL database management. it has become one of the most popular MySQL administration tools, especially for web hosting services.
How to Change WordPress Password From PhpmyAdmin
1. Login to your Cpanel or (the hosting panel your hosting service support) and head over to phpMyAdmin.
2. On the phpMyAdmin, Click on your WordPress Database Name you want to make change to.
Note, the WordPress database is the one connected to the WordPress site you are trying to change password for.
3. You will be presented with lot’s of tables. Navigate to and click the table wp_users. Note the WordPress tables prefix can be anything. e.g wpyv_users as seen the the screenshot.
4. On the wpyv_users section, click on the pencil edit on the row of the WordPress username you want to change password for.
5. Next, in the user_pass field, select & change the function to MD5. In the Value section clear what’s there and enter your new password.
6. After you have entered your new password, to update the table values, Click on the “Go” button at the bottom to Save.
7. If the table have be updated successfully, you will get a similar message as the screenshot below.
Another method you can use to update your WordPress password is through MySQL.
MySQL is the most popular language use for adding, accessing and managing content in a database.
How to Change WordPress Password From PhpmyAdmin Using MySQL
1. Follow my first 3 step of the above method I took in getting to change the WordPress password.
2. Step 3 of the above method will take you to wp_users section.
3. Next, click on the SQL tab.
4. Enter the below given query:
UPDATE `wpyv_users` SET `user_pass`= MD5('yournewpassword') WHERE `user_login`='yourusername';
yournewpassword with your password of choice.
yourusername with your wordpress username ( You can see your user-login name from the wp_users section)
5. Next, Click on the “Go” button at the bottom to Save.
6. If the table have be updated successfully, you will get a similar message as the screenshot below
That’s it. I Hope you find this guide on How to Change WordPress Password From PhpmyAdmin useful.
If you still can’t change your wordpress password with the above methods for some reasons, then contact your web hosting company. They should be able to help.
Please Feel free to write a comment below and share your experience with which approach you like to take when changing WordPress password from phpmyadmin.