Navigation menu helps visitors navigate easily into various areas of your blog that normally won’t be seen.
A typical navigation structure looks like this: Home, About, Services & Contact. The home page is the landing page where your website address is entered. E.g wplearnhowto.com. The homepage can either be a blog page or a static page.
From the homepage and every other page & post on your blog, you can include a fixed navigation that connects all the pages together.
Depending on your WordPress theme, The navigation can either be on the header or footer of your website or both.
You can also add navigation to widget areas of your theme.
In this article, I am going to show you how to add menu items to your website navigation menu.
Let’s get started.
How to Add Pages, Posts, Categories or Custom Links to your Blog Navigation Menu
Before we begin, you should already have some posts & pages on your website.
1) From your WordPress admin, go to Appearance >> Menu
2) Next, you will need to create a new menu if you have not. Enter a name for your Menu e.g “Main Menu” and click on the “Create Menu” button.
3) After the menu is created, we would now need to add some menu items to the menu such as pages, posts and custom links.
4) From each of the dropdown for pages, posts & categories, you need to select the item you want to appear on the navigation and click on the “Add to Menu”.
5) If it is a custom link you want to add, enter the website address and link text and click on ” Add to Menu“.
6) Once you have added some items to the menu, you can rearrange the order in which the items appear.
7) From the Menu Settings, check if you want to automatically add top-level pages to this menu. That is to say, whenever you create a new page do you want them to automatically show on the menu? Well, I won’t advise you to check that.
8) The next is the display location. This is depended on your WordPress theme and how many display location it has, e.g primary, footer, etc.
For the theme I am using, to have the menu show on the header section, my menu is set to primary.
9) Once set, click on “Save Menu”. and you should get a success notice.
You can then view your website frontend and see your menu items showing on the location you set for it.
You can also add tags to the menu if you enable it at the screen options.
Here is an example of a navigation menu.